[Chat] Here is news from today - April 6, 2003

william.schlegel at us.army.mil william.schlegel at us.army.mil
Sun Apr 6 16:16:05 EDT 2003

Friends,

Here is my latest news report.  I have left some earlier ones for people who might not have seen those.   Please send this to other people who might be interested or who might want to send me a note of their own.

Several days ago the temperature exceeded 100 degrees in the day time.  I try to get 7-8 hours of sleep, but it is tough.  When I go to sleep aqround 12 noon it is over 90 degrees.  I often sweat.  I lay on a towel on top of my sleeping bag, with a couple of tee-shirts over my pillow.  I usually  wake at least once during my sleep just to stretch or make a trip to the outdoor toilet (I always have to take my protective mask with me =- though I can dress in my PT shorts and shirt.  Then I get up between 7:30 and 8pm to go get a shower, shave, and get dressed - though lately I have been showering before i go to sleep - the showers are less crowded and it gives me more time to sleep.

If I have time I go to get some dinner (tonight we had chicken, over-cooked brocolli, and fried rice.  I also made a plate for my early morning lunch of two hamburger patties.  We no longer have MREs because they are needed for the front-line troops.

Yesterday i went to a traditional Protestant servicr at 9am, followed by Sunday School (we studied the short book of Ruth) at 10am, and a Gospel Service at 11am.  The air conditioner kept breaking down, but after some strong prayer a sergeant was able to fix it.  There were over 200 soldiers at the gospel service (about twice as many as at the 9am service).  I am not used to all the clapping and singing, but it was moving.  I was especially moved when a young woman sang "His Eye is on the Sparrow" as a solo.  My father requested this hymn be sung at his funeral (which took place in 1999) and I had not heard it sung since then, though I did run across it in a hymnal at Ft. Dix last month.  Anyway, I felt a bit sad and considered that perhaps this was a sign that my dad was also watching me from above and sending a note of his own.

Anyway, I am doing well and not really working too hard.  The hardest thing is finding something meaningful to do for 12 hours.  The area where i work is a bit overstaffed, but I guess my job is to observe and learn, in case the other people are reassigned.  I do not have my own workstation, so it is tough to keep on top of all the e-mails that the regular people get (classified stuff).  I am satisfied, however, just to me in air-conditioning and to know "what is going on".

In the next few days, I may get to move to an air-conditioned tent for sleeping.  This will be great!  Oh, I also go my laundry back this week - 4 day service.  Everything was clean and folded into a nice bundle.  Too bad I have to walk a half-mile to drop it off and pick it up - bjut then it is free!!  I also waited 90 minutes to get my hair cut.  It's now down to almost the scalp - though I do not plan on going "bald". like a lot of guys.  I do not want to shave my head every day or so.

Well, this is pretty long and I will be sending it to a bunch of people later.  If you or anyone else wants to drop a "snail letter", my address is:

CW4 Schlegel, William
V CORPS, 205th MI Bde, A Co/325th MI BN
APO, AE 09302-1382

Thanks for your support and interest in my life over here.

Brad