[Chat] Crystal's swimminghole.

Crystal cver1001 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 14 11:01:18 EDT 2003

Hi Kathleen,

Well, you see, I was thinking our block could really
be improved with a water feature so I ordered up a
little fountain ...

Seriously, on July 31st a neighbor rang my doorbell
just after I'd gone to bed to let me know that there
was water coming up in little jets from my water
meter. I called up 311 and they said 1) they'd send an
inspector out in about a week, and 2) I wouldn't get
charged for the extra water.

The very next day there was a note on my front door
saying that the inspector had been by and that the
problem was the City's responsibility. The night of
the Neighborhood Night Out, the fellas showed up to
work on it. Of course, I invited them to share in the
party. :)

Turned out they couldn't fix it without tearing up the
street so they said they'd be back later in the month.
So, we've had limited water pressure for a while, but
it hasn't been too much of a bother. Yesterday they
must've fixed it because there's no more water running
down the street, the hole is filled up and there's a
rough patch in the street. I suppose they'll be back
with cement and asphalt to finish the job. Still, less
than 2 weeks to stop the flow is a lot faster than I
thought. The only thing that I'm worried about is that
I don't want them to get cement-happy and box in my
tree.

So, it's given me incentive to start working on the
area around my tree for planting flowers and I was
wondering if you had any extra compost ... Also, this
week I started keeping a smallish, well-sealed
tupperware container under my sink for little bits of
peaches, lemons, tomatoes, etc and I wondered if I
could put them in your compost bin. I'll also have
some corn peelings and cobs is the next couple of
days, if those are OK.

:)

Crystal