[Chat] pit bulls

jdy jberlin at bcpl.net
Mon Aug 25 01:05:11 EDT 2003

this is long but important

i am addicted to listening to my police scanner. i spent an exorbitant  amount of money for it but that's what addictions are all about.
sunday morn, i hear a call about 'dogs out of control, 33rd&barclay . it was followed by a signal 13=officer needs assistance now. this is serious. not one to miss out on anything, i run out the house,proceed north on barclay. half way to 33rd i hear two gunshots,coming from the direction i am going. the smell of gunpowder 1 block away was strong. i didn't want to think the worse but couldn't help it. the police had to shoot 2 pit bulls who had attacked a man and his dog. it turned out that i knew the victim.his dog is a rottweiller. very sweet. her ear was bleeding. the dog owner had been bitten on the finger. it was a nasty bite. i'm looking at the two dogs that are now dead,wishing it were whoever owned them. they were not malnourished. someone was feeding them, it was so sad.
even now when i think about it i start to cry.
while i am walking my 2 dogs on university parkway, a jhh community patrol officer stops his vehicle to tell me not to go to charles&university. he stated there were 2 pit bulls running loose. one of my worse nightmares. how do i protect my dogs?
apparently one of the dogs had bitten someone. i called the police to inform them,especially after what happened this morning. there is part of me that is terrified yet another part crying,know that the police have no choice but to shoot these dogs if it becomes necessary.
where are these dogs coming from? this is absurd to suddenly have all these pitbulls running around loose.
for you dogwalkers out there, be careful.

judy