[Chat] Chat news needed

Crystal cver1001 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 13:28:14 EDT 2003

Charles Village Treasure Unearthed!

A few days ago I was doing some internet searching for
a project with the aim of finding maps of Baltimore
City that would give me an idea of the composition of
the soil and rock beneath the city rather than the
normal topographic and street maps of which I already
have several different versions. Lo and behold the
website popped up for the Maryland Geological Survey
which is mere blocks from my house, since it is at
2300 St. Paul Street. I have passed by this building
many, many times and had figured that it was only
offices so I was very surprised to find out that it is
also a public library! Typically, the library is open
from 8:30 to 4 pm Monday through Friday, but I got in
touch with Dr. Jim Reger who offered to give me a
personal tour beginning at 7 am so that I could catch
my train to work afterward.

Dr. Reger was a fountain of information about rock
formations and characteristics! He helped me to
identify 4 maps that I was able to purchase from the
library store and also showed me maps that depicted
the growth of the city from very early times.

Some of these maps can also be found in the Maryland
Room in the Enoch Pratt library, but they don't have
nearly the variety, nor the expertise of the Maryland
Geological Survey library.

Visit their website at http://www.mgs.md.gov to get
info on the Crystal Grottoes and a walking tour of
Baltimore City Building Stones
http://www.mgs.md.gov/esic/features/walking/index.html.