[Chat] Thir-Tea First Street Cafe

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Sat Feb 1 18:08:49 EST 2003

Folks,

last Saturday, my wife Kathleen and I had breakfast
at the Thir-Tea First Street Cafe, the former Waverly
Tea Room.  I hadn't been to the place in several
months.  I was very pleased to see that the Saturday
morning brunch business was doing great.  They had
the upper room full of brothers from some fraternity
council meeting, and there were several tables full
of patrons on the ground level.

The buffet was great, as usual, except when the
fraternity brothers came down en masse and cleaned
it out (I'm exaggerating, slightly).  They had the
usual sweet potato muffins, a crustless quiche
(they called it "fritata" I think), a salmon dish,
a chicken dish, and they even were experimenting
with offering some vegetarian dishes, but you had
to ask for them as they kept them in the kitchen,
not on the buffet table.

By the way, their blend of coffee is pretty good.

They said that their afternoon high teas are doing
well.  The Sun gave them 4 starts for their teas.

The buffet is $15 per person, and they take
reservations for groups.