[Chat] People at the Engineer's Club

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Fri Feb 28 20:35:12 EST 2003

Kathleen and I went to the networking event
Thursday evening at the Engineer's Club.

Once again I met people who had jobs or careers
doing lines of work I had never heard of.

John Starling works as a writer and consultant
for Smith Content, over in Hampden on the Avenue.
His company combines technical writing with
management consulting work.  They document what
a company does and how they do it.  A company
hires them to produce manuals describing the
``process flow'' and ``information architecture''
of the firm.  They send a team of writers and
consultants to ``live'' in the company for
a while and learn how it functions.  The materials
they produce help educate managers who are new
to the company and describe the company's
products and how they fit into the marketplace
(so-called ``brand bibles'').  Their website
is http://www.SmithContent.com .

Barbara Eyring is a health care consultant.
If you're taking care of an elderly parent
who has health problems, Medicare can be
difficult to figure out.  Ms. Eyring will
handle all the Medicare paperwork and make
recommendations for how to handle claims,
analogous to a tax-preparer.  I find it
surprising that Medicare is so complicated
that someone can make their living as a
Medicare consultant.  Ms. Eyring's number
is (410) 661-4626 and she does business
as ``The Personalized Health Insurance
Service''.

The President of the Society gave a tour
of the building afterwards.