[Chat] Help with feral cats

echalmers at mindspring.com echalmers at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 18 10:48:50 EDT 2003

Folks--

A couple of us are planning to try to trap some young feral cats and kittens that are living in a colony behind the houses on Greenmount and 30th. I am looking for assistance.

At least 6 unneutered cats are living in the colony. Because the cats are young, we would like to socialize them and find homes for them. The three or so smallest cats--around 3 months, maybe--are extremely pretty. The two older ones can be described as having character and will no doubt make terrific, smart companions. All are pretty shy of people but will come around us when we are feeding them.

I've asked Cat Rescue of Maryland for help. They may be able to help with the trapping, but all their foster homes and the shelters are full because it is spring. So, here is what we need:

--Several potential foster homes for 1 or 2 cats. The cats will have to be litter trained and can be crated for a time. Everyone who is suckered into helping will have to help look for permanent homes, of course.

--Help figuring out how to pay for FIV/leukemia testing. Cats cannot be adopted out without these tests.

--Help with the actual trapping. We will have to move the cats as soon as they are caught so that the rest of the colony doesn't see one of their own fighting a cage.

FYI, this colony is the one Vonnie and Cassandra have cared for for years. However, they have a new baby and not much time to spare right now. My understanding is that most of the older cats are fixed. Our concern is the younger ones, who seem to be multiplying daily.

Many thanks. Please e-mail or call me if you can help.

Emily
(410-366-4094)