[Chat] Fwd: RE: Fwd: Re: [Discussion] wires

Wilson portlight at compuserve.com
Wed May 7 08:50:16 EDT 2003

-- I contacted the Public Affairs department of BGE
the following Monday

-- They immediately sent me an email and advised that
they made the area safe, but that the core of the
problem had to do with city lighting equipment-the
property of and responsibility of Baltimore City.

-- I was later contacted by a supervisor in the City's
lighting section, Bill Colbert. He advised that the
event was caused by the unusually heavy snowfall in
the city (the storm of the century). As the snow and
ice melted and re-froze, the underground storm water
system was clogged with snow, ice, and, of course,
trash thrown in the sewer system. The foregoing
resulted in expansion and contraction due to
freezing and melting-thereby damaging the circuitry.
The damage resulted in arcing and shorting in areas
of water-soaked equipment, which overrode safety
devices. This resulted in creating "hot", electrified
areas above ground on plates covering the area.

Apparently the dog was standing on the wet plate,
when it also touched an electrified part of a pole,
resulting in its death.

I was advised that this was an extremely unusual and
rare event, caused by the heavy snowfall and
clogging of storm water systems. The city spent a
great deal of effort in correcting the problem,
replacing over 1000 feet of cable and related
equipment. The manager of the lighting section
assured me that the adjacent area was checked and
deemed to be safe.

-----Jerry Busnuk, Charles Village Benefits District

Crystal:

The equation doesn't seem quite right to me.  Please review it:

One call x one person making the call = $41,000+ per year salary.

Not a bad salary for one call, but hardly worth it wouldn't you agree?

Christian