[Chat] getting free food donated

Kathleen Wilsbach kwilsbach at speakeasy.net
Mon May 19 12:15:34 EDT 2003

>The Animal Rescue Site is having trouble getting enough people to click
>on it daily to meet their quota of getting free food donated every day
>to abused and neglected animals. It takes less than a minute to go to
>their site and click on "feed an animal in need" for free! This doesn't
>cost you a thing! Their corporate sponsors/advertisers use the number of
>daily visits to donate food to abandoned/neglected animals in exchange
>for advertising. Here's the web site! Pass it along to people you know!
>
>http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com

This was just posted on another of the lists I subscribe to:

    Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 15:19:12 -0700 (PDT)
    From: SkispringenFan <FliegSimiFlieg at swiss-inter.net>
Subject: fwd: warning re: Animal Rescue Site ("Click for Food")

Rabbits -- and other animals -- may not be benefiting as much from
this scheme as Homeline Publications is.

A fellow animal advocate did a little investigating re the Animal
Rescue Site and found the following...

Cheryl

<<
In general, for-profit click through donations, except as provided by
ethical businesses, range from useless to frauds.

The Animal Rescue Site is run by CharityUSA.com.  CharityUSA.com, is
a for profit organization owned by HOMELINE PUBLICATIONS, a known
problem spammer. (See
http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/spammers-t.html )  CharityUSA.com's
sites include: thebreastcancersite.com, thehungersite.com,
therainforestsite.com, theanoimaslrescuesite.com, thechildsite.com,
greatergood.com, earthdaystore, and ecologyfund.com.  The
organization has not chosen to provide the Better Business Bureau, or
anyone else, with information on their operation.

Quoting from  "œThe Charlotte Observer"  on another CharityUSA site:
(http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/columnists/mr_watchdog/5282071.htm)

"each click is worth about 0.2 of a penny. So if you visit the site
every day for a year, you've contributed a grand total of about 80
cents.

"If it's that important to you," Borochoff said, "wouldn't it be more
productive to make a donation somewhere?"