[Chat] From a friend who works for Baltimore County Fire Dept.

william.schlegel at us.army.mil william.schlegel at us.army.mil
Thu Sep 18 08:34:57 EDT 2003

Latest information regarding fire department planning:

1. Storm update (as of 11AM, Tuesday, September 17, 2003):

* continue to monitor the news and weather channel for accurate information.
* storm expected to make land fall on Thursday, 9/18 at 12PM near Cape Lookout, NC, and track Northwest over Virginia into Western Maryland.
* we expect storm conditions to begin here at 2PM on Thursday.  Expect 35-73MPH winds w/ 100MPH gusts.
* expect 3-8" of rain in Baltimore County
* local concerns are for tornadoes, prolonged effects if the storm stalls, a 3-6' storm surge on the Western coast of the bay.  High tide is 2AM Friday.
* storm effects are expected to subside by 12PM Friday.

2. Preparations:

* ensure your families and personal residences are secure so you can be ready to report to duty.
* refer to the 9/16/03 staff meeting notes for station equipment preparation tasks.
* visit the Baltimore County Government web page to refresh your knowledge of information to be relayed in the event you receive a call from a concerned citizen.  Refer them to the web site if they have computer access.  www.baltimorecountyonline.info

3. Emergency Operations Center:

* as of now, we plan to activate the EOC at 7AM Thursday.
* contact numbers will be published when available.
* if you receive media requests/inquiries, contact the PIO at 410-887-4520 (leave a message)
* be prepared to document and forward to me via e-mail, all storm related activities/expenses needed to secure reimbursement later.

4. Surveillance:

* each station must e-mail me a list of flood-prone areas in your 1st due district by Wednesday, 9/17 at 1200 hours.
* as storm conditions begin, periodically monitor these areas as safety permits, and notify the EOC if conditions begin to deteriorate in these identified areas.
* frequently check your e-mail for storm management updates.