[Chat] Second Chance Inc.

Sarah Andrew Wilson sarah at phloot.com
Wed Apr 7 09:06:29 EDT 2004

I'm just now catching up on my e-mail.  Someone mentioned Second Chance
Inc. and I'd like to persuade everyone to take a look when you have a
chance.  A friend suggested them when Joel and I were searching for
claw-foot bath tubs, and then when I saw them under "recommended
resources" in This Old House magazine, we made a date to go.

Second Chance goes into demolition (or "deconstruction") zones and
carefully takes apart old buildings.  As a result, they have two
warehouses full of good stuff for old homes:  claw-foot bath tubs,
five-panel doors, stoves, sinks, radiators, crown molding, stained glass
windows, armoires, old pianos, and the list goes on.  So these old, and
sometimes antique, items get a "second chance."

In addition to providing era-specific items for old homes, Second Chance
also supplies training and jobs to low-income Baltimore residents.  They
offer training in deconstruction, refurbishing, and other skills.  Then
they hire the trainees to go into deconstruction zones and to refurbish
items to be sold.  Therefore many residents are given a much needed
"second chance."

One employee gave Joel and me a detailed tour of the facilities.  I was
hooked!  It's a great resource not only for your home but for providing
much-needed jobs in inner city Baltimore.  Check them out a
www.secondchanceinc.org <http://www.secondchanceinc.org/>  or go to
their warehouse just south of Ravens stadium (one block east of Russell
St).

Cheers,
Sarah

Sarah Andrew Wilson