[Chat] Alley Address Markers

OldHouseHistory at aol.com OldHouseHistory at aol.com
Mon Aug 30 17:49:59 EDT 2004

As a recent and eager DC transplant (with no regrets), I wanted to  pass
along a project I witnessed in my neighborhood in Washington, and see  if the CVCA
might be interested...It is a house address marker project, a  simple,
durable, and cheap marker with a house address to affix to the rear  of properties
in our neighborhood, along the alleys.

It's of critical need for emergency and police response when called to a
house; I noticed when my partner and I were looking at houses in CV, that many
of us don't have our front house address on the back fence anywhere, and if we
report a police need to the rear of our house, how would we expect them to
find the right address?  I think the markers utilized in the U Street area  of
DC were less than $20, a simple enameled metal, and with a 10% profit margin
for the local nonprofit, I believe, to be used for the group to purchase
additional signs for abandoned houses or for those residents that are on a  fixed
income.  It was completely voluntary, but it worked  like a  charm, and almost
every house now is marked with a clearly visible address on  the rear fence
or garage.  The police provided great feedback, as each sign  matched, and was
in a similar location for an easy read.  (Our house  currently has huge
painted numbers on the wooden gate, being covered by  ivy....not so attractive, but
put on the former residents).

I'd be willing to head up such a venture, if it is of interest to
anyone..its a good way for us to meet our new neighbors, and a worthy  project in my
view.

Has this already been attempted in CV?  Thoughts?   Concerns?

Paul Williams & Greg Alexander

2629 Guilford Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21218
Kelsey & Associates, Inc.