[Chat] Fwd: Coast Report Thurs Sept 2nd at 11am

Crystal charlesvillager2002 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 16:50:28 EDT 2004

If you can make it, please attend the news conference
at 11 am on Thursday in the Baltimore Inner Harbor on
the waterside brick walk-way between Maryland Science
Center and Light Street Pavilion.

Thanks.

Crystal

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

For Immediate Release
Contact: Chris Carney, 703 312-0533

NO DAY AT THE BEACH:

New Sierra Club Report To Highlight How Bush
Administration Puts Maryland’s Coasts and Harbors
at Risk

MARYLAND– As Maryland residents head out in droves to
the coasts this Labor Day weekend, the Sierra Club
will release a report that documents how and where
Bush administration policies are threatening America’s
coastal treasures and what we can do to save them. "No
Day at the Beach: How the Bush Administration Is
Eroding Coastal Protection" is a comprehensive look at
the Bush administration policies that threaten America
coasts, particularly the Atlantic Coast and Chesapeake
Bay.

Here in Maryland, residents are especially concerned
about flood damage from storms like Isabel, which
brought 8-foot storm surges and sewage backups to
Baltimore’s InnerHarbor. Scientists predict global
warming will raise sea levels in the Bay and lead to
more violent hurricanes. Rather than take steps now to
protect our coastal communities by addressing the
causes of climate change, the Bush administration has
moved forward with an energy policy that will only
accelerate global warming by increasing the use of
fossil fuels. Additionally, the Bush administration’s
lax approach to water pollution poses a serious threat
to the Bay’s tourism industry and fishing.

WHEN: 11 AM, Thursday, September 2, 2004

WHERE: Baltimore Inner Harbor - on waterside brick
walk-way between Maryland Science Center and Light
Street Pavilion.

WHO: Chris Carney, Sierra Club Conservation Organizer,
and local volunteers

VISUALS: Colorful visuals, including blown-up copy of
report and an oversized stop sign that say “STOP
ruining our Bay.”

###