[Chat] A stake-out on Guilford

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Mon Jan 19 17:35:21 EST 2004

So I happened to meet a woman police officer out in front of
3036 Guilford this afternoon.  She was talking to a couple
interested in buying a house in C.V.  (3036 belongs to
Darlene H. and is up for auction.)  The officer said this
was a pretty safe neighborhood.  "I spent three nights
on the corner this summer trying to get robbed" -- no luck.

She explained: she was undercover, just hanging out at the
corner of 31st and Guilford to see if she would get robbed.
("Do you remember a blonde hanging out on the corner
this summer waiting for a ride?" she said.)
She says neighbors were really nice.  Folks kept offering to
help her.  She said she was waiting for a ride.  She said
people were offering to let her use their phone, offering
her cold drinks.  She finally told one persistent neighbor
that she was undercover.  The woman said "Oh, then I guess
I shouldn't stick around."  The officer replied "Well, not
unless you want to get robbed with me."

She never got robbed!  If only things were always that easy.