[Chat] Re: [Discussion] pres. election

Crystal cver1001 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 26 08:29:52 EST 2004

I was in Maine & New Hampshire this past weekend and,
besides visiting relatives, I got to see Kerry, Clark
and Dean. Kerry seemed lukewarm and stiff in a way
that reminds me of Al Gore and makes me worried that
he can't win vs Bush, despite all the folks who say
they'll vote for the Democrat, whoever he is. Clark
gives me bad vibes and his people are so focused on
"appearances" that I'm afraid there is not a lot of
substance to back it up. I suppose having a General in
charge could bring some discipline to the Democratic
Party and George would have to call him "Sir," but
still ... he makes me nervous.

I also went by campaign offices for Edwards and
Liberman and there wasn't a lot of activity there.
There was just one person out on a streetcorner
campaigning for Kucinich. I didn't see anyone for
Sharpton.

Dean is definitely not a product of the
Washington/National power establishment and that is
very refreshing. When they say "people-powered
Howard," they're not kidding. I was able to slip into
one of Dean's Town Meetings, even though as an
out-of-stater, I was not invited. They had expected 36
people to show up for a room with 275 seats and 800+
people came. I heard that the day before, 200 people
were expected and 1500 came to a Town Meeting in
Keene, NH.

The crowds of volunteers and reporters following him
around reminds me of Clinton, although the prima donna
corporate Media reporters have apparently decided that
they hate him, while they loved Clinton. I met up with
one reporter (not one of the prima donnas) who had her
own footage of the infamous "scream." It looked a lot
different than what they showed on TV. Perhaps the red
wasn't set right, or maybe it was set wrong on
purpose. Perhaps there was a direct feed to record off
the microphone, or maybe they muted the crowd noise to
make Howard look ridiculous. Who knows? Anyway, most
New Hampshire-ites didn't seem to care. The ones who
said anything about it said they had suspicions that
the Media were trying to manipulate them. A few said
that they liked to see people getting passionate about
things that they are passionate about too.

So, with enough grains of salt to share, perhaps we
will end up with a President who was not pre-selected
for us by the Media. In any case, it definitely gives
a different view to actively seek out the candidates
and not to allow the Media to tell me what they're all
about.

-- Crystal