[Chat] RE: [Discussion] FW: Rediscover Old Goucher House Tour Sunday May 2nd

Crystal charlesvillager2002 at yahoo.com
Sat May 1 18:46:03 EDT 2004

I actually don't know very much about Goucher College.
I've heard that the old buildings are still there,
that they have been featured on many recent house and
garden tours, and that Goucher College is moving back
into the neighborhood after having moved away in the
1940s. (Note 1940s, not 1950s. See
http://www.charlesvillage.org/cvcbd/old_goucher/history.asp?old_goucher_community_festival_2003)

>From the bits that I've heard, the majority of "white
flight" happened after the riots that followed Martin
Luther King's assassination in April 1968. But,
perhaps folks who were here then can fill us in? Maybe
there's a book to be recommended on the subject?

Professor Morgan, who taught my class this semester,
told me that he was stationed in a tank near the
corner of Greenmount and 33rd during the 1968 riots.
He was part of the National Guard then. I've forgotten
exactly where I read it, but something I read recently
indicated that Baltimore's public schools went from
the top in the state to the worst between 1968 and
1974, as *everybody* who could move, did. I would
suppose that non-white families found it difficult, if
not impossible, to move...

There's some interesting bits at
http://www.soulofamerica.com/cityfldr/baltimore16.html
http://www.mdpsych.org/SpSu98_gKlee3.htm