[Chat] VLP Summer Programs

Sarah Andrew Wilson sarah at phloot.com
Sat May 29 17:49:57 EDT 2004

Below are some upcoming programs at the VLP.  Come out for the Evenings
in the Garden event on July 21 - I'll perform solo flute for the
evening!

Cheers,
Sarah
=================
Sarah Andrew Wilson
www.phloot.com
h 410.243.6475
c 703.244.6732

The Village Learning Place is happy to announce that we will have summer
programming.  Applications and brochures for VLP Summer Programs can be
found at the library circulation desk.  Enrollment for the youth and
computer programs is limited.

If you have any questions about the programs, please contact:
Becky Thomson, Education and Outreach Coordinator
becky at villagelearningplace.org or 410-235-2210, ext. 206.

If you're interested in volunteering over the summer, please contact me:
megan at villagelearningplace.org or 410-235-2210, ext. 207.

Youth Programs
Number Playground : A math program designed by the Johns Hopkins
Tutorial
Project. Classroom, computer, literacy, and math activities! Lunch
provided at
noon. Enrollment required.
June 29th-July 30th, Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 noon
1st-4th grades

Human I : Youth explore other cultures and geography through games,
literature,
cultural activities, and discussion.
Enrollment required.
June 30th- July 30th, Tuesday & Thursday, 1:00-2:30 p.m.
1st-3rd grades

Human 2 : Youth will survey the community and develop ideas to create
change.
Field trips, guest speakers, writing, discussion, and community
activities.
Enrollment required.
June 30 - July 30, Monday & Wednesday, 1:00-2:30 p.m.
4th-6th grades

In My Minds Eye : An art program where art and books unite. Young people

receive art instruction and develop art and writing projects using books
as a
guide. Enrollment required.
June 30-July 30,  Tuesday & Thursday, 1:00-2:30 p.m.
3rd-5th grades

Dirt Diggers : Urban gardening for young people. Learn gardening skills
and how
things grow. You will get your hands dirty!
Enrollment required.
June 30-July 30, Monday & Wednesday, 1:00-2:30 p.m.
3rd-5th grades

Computer Clique : Gain computer literacy!  Learn word processing skills,

internet research, and educational programs.
Enrollment required.
June 30 - July 30, 1:00-2:30 p.m.
Monday & Wednesday, 7th and 8th grades
Tuesday & Thursday, 5th and 6th grades

Adult and Community Programs
Tots Tuesday Storytimes : Parents and caregivers bring your infants-
preschoolers to this reading program. Tots are introduced to
storytelling,
music, and  arts.
1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month, 10:30-11:30 a.m.
18 months .-4 years old and caregivers

Senior Tea: Once a month we have activities and presentations based on
literature, community, and cultural enrichment. Refreshments provided!
2nd Tuesday of each month, 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

Open Computer Lab : Use our state of the art computer lab. Internet,
word
processing, and more (small fee for printing). Open to all with a
Village
Learning Place Library Card.
Wednesday,  5:30-8:00 p.m.
Thursday,  5:30-8:00 p.m.
Saturday, 2:00-4:00 p.m.

Evenings in the Garden : Enjoy performances in our beautiful garden.
Refreshments will be for sale. FREE! Open to all. 6:00-8:00 p.m.
June 30 Poet's Ink (poetry)
July 7 The Missing Chums (acapella)
July 14 Valley View (band)
July 21 Sarah Andrew Wilson (flute)
July 28 Tislam the Great ( Hip-Hop)

Resume Writing : Learn how to write an effective resume or polish the
one you
already have.
Enrollment required.
Thursday, June 17, 6:00-8:00 p.m.

Garden Work Days : Help us make our garden even more beautiful. An
experienced
gardener will be present.
Every third Saturday of each month, 10:00 a.m. -1:00 p.m.