[Chat] Visit to set of The Wire

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Sun Oct 24 19:57:03 EDT 2004

This afternoon, Sarah, Joel, and I visited the set of HBO's The Wire.
It's in a former Sam's Club warehouse store on Eastern Ave. in Essex,
about 5 miles east of Broadway.  We were guided there by Kathy Wilhelm
as part of the HomiCon 2004 activities.  She knows some people who
work on The Wire and dropped some names with the security guard who
let us in.  Unfortunately, he could only show us the sets from the
back, but he did tell us what they were, and we got to look through
an open door to the set of the Police Commissioner's waiting room.
They also have a set for detectives' offices, for the COMSTAT briefing
room, and more.  The security guard was actually on off-duty Baltimore
City Police Officer in the Environmental Crimes division who has been
an extra on The Wire.  The officer, Eric, told us that the show is true
to life when it portrays police officials getting grilled in COMSTAT
briefings by the Mayor or Commissioner.

Emil Volcheck
volcheck at acm.org
http://acm.org/~volcheck