[Chat] Balto Science Fiction Society

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Thu Sep 9 22:37:26 EDT 2004

Gosh, how do you define literature?

In the early days of pulp magazines back in the 40s, I gather many
scholars did not consider science fiction to be a form of literature,
but I'm glad to hear that you do!

If you've ever thought about reading science fiction and might like
some book recommendations, if you're interested in themes of social
relationships, then I could recommend or loan you some short stories
by Ursula K. LeGuin.  She's a master of what you might call
speculative sociology.  She doesn't talk about ray guns and warp
drives --- which I would guess probably wouldn't interest you --- she
deals with issues like gender roles, androgyny, slavery.

--Emil

--
Emil Volcheck
volcheck at acm.org