[Chat] Eyes Wide Open Exhibit coming to The Beach (JHU) Sept. 9-11, Need Vigil Participants and Civilian Shoes

Crystal charlesvillager2002 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 26 23:32:47 EDT 2005

Initially, the exhibit was only a collection of
military boots -- one pair for each soldier lost.
More recently, I have also gotten requests for
civilian shoes of all kinds from child to adult to
help show the magnitude of lives lost.  It hits pretty
hard, just as the piles of shoes in the U.S. Holocaust
Museum do.

San Francisco donated on the order of 4,000 shoes --
can Baltimore match that? I'll be in Baltimore that
weekend and plan to bring a bunch of shoes for the
exhibit around 3 pm Saturday afternoon. So, if anybody
wants to catch up with me, that's likely to be a good
place and approximate time.

Also, if somebody could please forward this note to
Alice (formerly of Images), I'd very much appreciate
it.

Here's the announcement:

Dear Peace Leaders and Peace Seekers:

We are looking for groups that would be interested in
holding a vigil at the Eyes Wide Open Exhibit,
sponsored by the American Friends Service Committee,
that will be held in Baltimore the weekend of Sept
9-11. The exhibit is a memorial to the U.S. and Iraqi
lives that have been lost in this war. This exhibit of
military boots and civilian shoes is a witness to our
Quaker belief that no war can justify its human cost.
It is hoped that the exhibit will be a place where all
sides can come to honor the dead – military and their
family, veterans, all seekers of peace. Between the
exhibit itself and the additional programs that will
be sponsored throughout the city, it is hoped that
this event will provide an opportunity for the
Baltimore community to begin talking about the war and
its impact upon us –  as individuals, as families, as
a community, as a country, as citizens of the world.
If you would like more information about the project
please visit the website:
http://www.afsc.org/eyes/default.htm

We feel the vigils will be important in providing a
peaceful presence at the memorial exhibit, in visibly
demonstrating a commitment to peace and in holding the
space in a respectful, loving manner.

We will need a minimum of 5 people to be at the site
for a minimum of 2 hours (4 is even better). We are
asking that vigil participants hold the space in
whatever manner of contemplative respect they choose:
IE, in silence, spoken prayer, singing, chanting,
playing instruments, holding candles etc. The vigil
times will be Friday -Sat [9/9-9/10] 8PM to 10AM and
Sat - Sun [9/10-9/11]  8PM to 10AM. Would your group
be interested or do you know of a group that would be
interested?

Please call me or email me to reserve a time or to
receive more information. Thank you for your care and
support.

In peace,
Amy Rakusin
Member, Stony Run Friends Meeting

Amy R. Rakusin ADTR, LCPC, NCC
Phone: 410-472-0972
Fax: 410-472-9958

Give the gift of relaxation to yourself
and others: A hammock or a hammock chair.
http://www.twinoakstore.com/