[Chat] Lists back up

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Fri Dec 2 01:19:41 EST 2005

Hello to all my list subscribers,

I'm sorry to say that the lists on my servers have been down since
sometime on 11/29, but they are back up now.  I just became aware of
the problem today and reported it to the sysadmins.  Sorry for the
inconvenience.  If you sent a message to the list, it is in the
archives, but the message was not delivered to the list.

For your information, here's what the sysadmin told me:

---
Basically there was a PHP script being abused on a site and used to
send spam this week.   Our first course of action was to temporarily
lower the number of recipients allowed for outgoing mail to thwart
the broadcast of spam.  We then followed up with more effective
security enhancements.   We however had neglected to remove the
limitation on the number of recipients.   I have removed it now and
suspect that this was why a larger list would not send.
---

Sorry for the inconvenience.  Occasionally problems like this happen,
but overall my hosting service provider does a pretty good job,
so I hope you'll understand.

Emil Volcheck
volcheck at acm.org
http://acm.org/~volcheck