[Chat] Concerns on Jevenile DERC Proposal

Brad Schlegel william.schlegel at us.army.mil
Mon Dec 12 15:21:51 EST 2005

 Destini et all,

Below are a few follow-up questions I submitted to Ms. Taru regarding the
Day and Evening Reporting Center (DERC). The "Chicago Model," which
Secretary Montague presented earlier this year when proposing to place the
facility @ 2111 Maryland Ave., "notes the importance of weaving juvenile
justice institutions into the fabric of neighborhoods where the youth live."

To this end, I've asked if they intend to prioritize "slots" and some of the
17 new positions for youth and residents of the immediate area. The "Chicago
Model" requires the majority of clients and staff to be from the immediate
community of the Centers to be successful. This is an essential component
that would help create a "win-win" for the community.

Follow-up Questions:

Dear Ms. Taru,
Thank you for the presentation last night at the Waverly meeting on the DERC
proposal. I have a few follow-up questions and some from area residents:

1)I believe you mentioned Jan 9 as a public hearing date... When and where
and how do citizens and community groups "weigh in" on this matter and is
there a proposed opening date?

2)Although you mentioned this will be a citywide center, are there any
provisions (set asides, etc) to prioritize youth in the immediate area for
service?

3)Will the staff (17 proposed) come from existing DJS positions or will some
be new hires? Will there be provisions (set asides, etc) for residents of
the immediate area to staff the center?

4)Is this new funding (outside grants, etc.) and approximately how much is
the annual budget for the center? Is there money and how much is proposed in
the agency's '07, '08, and '09 budget for additional centers in the city?

Thank you for your time. I'm circulating the dates for tours of the 909
Druid Park Dr. facility (12/9, 12/16, 12/19, and 1/9) to area residents and
other stakeholders. Are you the point person for the tours?

Best,
Bob Brinkman
Charles Village Community Benefits District
Community Liaison - Harwood
410-235-4411 ext 14 (shared line)
Bob at charlesvillage.org