[Chat] Re: [Discussion] FYI: Science should be taught in a science class, religion should be taught in a religion class

Crystal charlesvillager2002 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 08:27:05 EST 2005

Well, I'm sorry to have missed those talks.  I had a
conversation with my brother recently about the
possibility that certain types of mental illness may
not be negative with respect to the evolution of human
beings. For example, people who are nymphomaniacs may
die of some horrible veneral disease, but probably not
before they've reproduced. Lots of creative people
(poets, authors, painters, sculptors, etc) are
depressive and manic-depressive. Also, I've heard that
large number of politicans and top business managers
are psychopaths.

FYI, the website,
http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/psychology/robert_hare/3.html?sect=19,
gives a succinct summary that "among the most
devastating features of psychopathy are a callous
disregard for the rights of others and a propensity
for predatory and violent behaviors.  Without remorse,
psychopaths charm and exploit others for their own
gain.  They lack empathy and a sense of
responsibility, and they manipulate, lie and con
others with no regard for anyone's feelings."

Did the speaker on schizophrenia share any examples
like these?

Further, I saw a bumper sticker awhile ago that said
something like "You share 25% of your genetic code
with a banana. Get over yourself." My brother assures
me that it is true and that we also share around 60%
of our genetic code with chickens, if I remember
correctly. According to my brother, that's why it
benefits us to eat chicken -- the basic building
blocks of ourselves is right there for the taking.

Crystal, "only one-quarter bananas" :)

--- Emil Volcheck <volcheck at acm.org> wrote:

> Crystal,
>
> The Baltimore Ethical Society had two great talks
> this past Sunday on
> the problem of Creationism and Intelligent Design
> being taught in
> schools.  Saturday was "Darwin Day", the 146th
> anniversary of the
> publication of "On the Origin of Species".  I think
> you would have
> liked those talks.  The first speaker explained how
> Intelligent
> Design is just a slightly modified form of
> Creationism ("Creationism
> dressed up in schoolclothes").  The second speaker
> was Hopkins
> neuroscientist who explained how the theory of
> evolution plays
> a key role in biological research.  She described
> how she applies
> evolutionary theory to search for the cause of
> schizophrenia.
>
> --Emil
>

> --
> Emil Volcheck
> volcheck at acm.org
> http://acm.org/~volcheck

=====
Give the gift of relaxation to yourself
and others: A hammock or a hammock chair.
http://www.twinoakstore.com/