[Chat] Water Quality

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Sat Jan 15 20:06:01 EST 2005

I have not noticed anything, but that has been reported to be a
characteristic of water from the Susquehanna.  I have heard that the
City is getting ready to design and build a purification system to
utilize Susquehanna water all the time.  The rationale is that this way,
the reservoirs will stay more full as a drought approaches, and
therefore the City will not need to draw as much Susquehanna water when
the drought comes and more Susquehanna water is needed by other users.
It makes sense to me.

When I moved to Maryland in 1966, the New York / New Jersey region was
in the midst of a drought, and there were messages at the bottom of each
column in the NY Times telling people to conserve water.  Here, they
were saying that if the drought lasted much longer, they would have to
use Susquehanna water and might have to put in restrictions.  Of course
now there is a much bigger population using Baltimore City water
(remember, the City supplies the County and then some).

I have read stories of how a whole family would take baths once a week.
When I was a child, a shower every other day was the norm.  Now, we all
shower every day.  So using lots of water is the norm -- about 100
gallons per person per day.  Fortunately, we live in a region with
plentiful water.  California went bananas when it had a 5 year drought,
but the tree ring records show 100 year droughts there.

So I do not know if we are now using Susquehanna water, but if we are,
that will explain what you have observed; when the City improves its
water system to use Susquehanna water all the time, it will be using a
purification system better designed for that specific water, and that
will bring improvement.

Steve.