[Chat] Carma's Cafe

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Mon Jan 17 15:14:34 EST 2005

Kathleen and I ate brunch at Carma's Cafe this morning,
and I'm happy to report that it's great!

Carma's Cafe is located in the Saint Paul Court Apartments building,
on 32nd Street, across from the Jefferson.  This is where Cuppa Cabana
and Mimma's (sp?) were located.

Carma's Cafe is open 7 AM to 4 PM, Monday through Saturday.  (Closed
Sunday.)

Kathleen and I each had an omelette that they call a "frittata".
Today the frittata was roasted red pepper and scallion.  It's like a
baked omelette, and you're served a slice along with some fresh bread
for $5.25.  It was pretty tasty.

I also got some of their Irish oatmeal.  I got it with cream and fruit
compote for $2.50.  The fruit compote was a very good jam, sour cherry
I think.  The oatmeal was the steel-cut, grainy variety.

Kathleen got some Earl Grey tea from the Eastern Shore tea company.  I
got a Gingerbread latte, which was very artfully prepared, with a
swirl of real whipped cream on top, and a gingerbread cookie.  A tall
latte is $3.25 .

The space was a little tight, and the place was full around noon
today.

The proprietor Carma works at the front counter, and has a helper in
back.  She says that when she had orientation for her staff that she
told them she thinks of the Cafe as an extension of her kitchen, and
that she wants them to treat her patrons like guests in her house.

The decor was tasteful.  She repainted the walls a light cream and the
roof brown.  The menu items on the wall are framed.  They don't mind
people hanging out, it seems.  There's the Hopkins librarian who plays
the bagpipes (you know who I mean, right? because I can't remember his
name) was reading a book and seems like he was happily ensconced at
his table for a while.

I think this cafe is here to stay.  They're a great addition to
Charles Village!  I only wish they were open into the evening.  They
have a website in progress:

http://www.CarmasCafe.com  .

Emil Volcheck
volcheck at acm.org