[Chat] Waverly Giant vs Safeway (25ht and Charles)

Brad Schlegel william.schlegel at us.army.mil
Sat Jan 22 13:19:38 EST 2005

Last night, around 7pm,  Susan and I had the worst grocery shopping
experience of our lives.  We stopped at the Charles Street Safeway with the
intent of buying some fat-free half and half (Lucerne Brand is cheaper than
Land of Lakes), plus a few other items (ended up with less than 10).  When
it came time to check out we discovered there were over 100 people in line
and only 4 open registers - none express.  I observed at least five cash
register clerks packing up  and when I asked why they were leaving when the
store was so packed they said. "We already put in over 8 hours and we must
leave."  I then looked for the manager, only to find out he had already left
for the day.  His back-up was just another cash register clerk with little
interest in acting managerial.

After about 15 minutes of waiting, more lines opened, but the method of
filling them was helter-skelter and I actually had a man behind me demand to
move ahead of us in the line, simply because "nobody was going to tell him
what to do"..  Despite my effort to have him act civilly and wait his turn,
he pushed ahead.  The one security guard refused to get involved and the
"acting" manager - Marquesha, was busy checking people out.  After about 45
minutes, Susan and I got out of the store.  Oh, there was only one deli
clerk on duty, too.

If Safeway hope to compete with Giant, they better plan to react to
inclement weather with a bit more clerks and organization.  Did anyone shop
at the Giant yesterday, who could describe their experience?  As it stands,
now, Susan and I will NOT return to Safeway - even if their price for half
and half is better.

Sincerely,

W. Brad Schlegel
1552 Oakridge Road