[Chat] missing pets

Linda Forlifer LEF at press.jhu.edu
Mon Jul 18 11:06:46 EDT 2005

One unfortunate possibility is that they are stolen to be used in
training dogs to fight.  I've been told of (and read about) this
happening near our neighborhood (Harwood).  You could talk to Vonnie
Gowe or Emily Chalmers about this.

It's safest to keep cats as indoor pets and dogs in your home when
they're not on leash walking with you.

Linda

>>> sarah at phloot.com 7/18/2005 10:11:07 AM >>>
I'm dismayed at the amount of missing pet posters I see posted every
week in CV, at least in the 2900-3100 blocks of Guilford, Calvert, and
St. Paul.  I've lived in 5 different cities across the country and have
never encountered this in other neighborhoods.  My youngest cat went
missing last November.  He vanished seemingly without a trace.  I walked
door to door for a week, talking to neighbors, passing out flyers,
searching alleys and trash cans, to no avail.

I'm normally not a conspiracy theorist (a popular occupation in CV, it
appears!), but I'm starting to wonder now.  Where do these pets go?
I've never seen an animal control van in our area, so I don't think we
have an overactive animal control department picking up random animals.
I don't see very many run-over animals on the street, so that doesn't
seem to be a problem.  And I have never found a carcass of a pet in an
alley.

Are the animals being stolen?  Taken to another neighborhood?  Hoarded
in basements?  Are the gutters/sewers notorious for trapping
unsuspecting animals?  Can I blame the CVCBD for this?  (just joking)

Curious and a little saddened,
Sarah

Sarah Andrew Wilson
www.phloot.com