[Chat] Fw: A Message from Mary Pat Clarke

Brad Schlegel william.schlegel at us.army.mil
Mon Jun 20 10:32:50 EDT 2005

A Message from Mary Pat Clarke

                                                                                              14th District, Baltimore City Council

Dear 14th District Leaders and Friends,

PLEASE LOG-IN -

TO OPPOSE MTA BUS ROUTE PROPOSALS WHICH HARM CITY NEIGHBORHOODS AND OUR RESIDENTS.

It's not too late to be heard.  Voice your MTA opinion by contacting MTA's Elizabeth Kreider at ekreider at mtamaryland.com.

On the MTA opposition front, congratulations to the Hampden Community Council, Roland Park Place, Action In Maturity (AIM), and management at the 3838/3939 Roland Avenue senior citizen apartments.

Thanks to these advocates, we broke the record for attendance at MTA's informational hearing at the Hampden Family Center on June 7.

Over 212 citizens attended AND delivered persuasive testimony for Saving the Hampden Shuttle, the #27 line, the #61 line and more.

The Community Council rented a bus to get our citizens to the hearing. AIM and Roland Park Place provided van service.  Now we need to keep the pressure on, by emailing MTA and our State elected officials.

On the 14th District school front,

PLEASE HELP HAMPDEN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL  #55 AND

WEIGH-IN FOR WAVERLY ELEMENTARY/MIDDLE SCHOOL #51.

WE NEED HELP TO PAINT HAMPDEN CLASSROOMS.

Saturday, June 25, 9am-2pm

Hampden Elementary School #55

Chestnut Avenue & West 37th Street

Sponsored by the Wyman Park Community Association and the Mayor's Believe in Our Schools Campaign.

Contact is Wyman Park's Ms. Willy Sydnor at

willy at shapiro.com.

Contact in my office is Jeremy Rosendale at

jrosendale at baltimorecitycouncil.com.

Yes, we painted last summer, but we didn't finish the job.

This two-year effort is the first time Hampden has been painted since it was built!  So "dress dirty," and please lend us a few hours of volunteer time if you can.

WE ALSO NEED SUPPORTERS TO WEIGH-IN FOR MORE $ IN WAVERLY's 2005-06 SCHOOL BUDGET.

Tuesday, June 28, 5pm.

School Board Meeting, School HQ

200 E. North Avenue

Waverly's operating budget for school year 2005-06 has been cut to $100,000 LESS than the current year's budget, despite a growing student enrollment and promises of resources.

We are going to the School Board to protest and request restoration of funding at once. The $100,000 cut means that:

*three of four Instructional Support Teachers are cut.

*one office aide is cut.

*the educational supplies budget is cut by $2,000.

*only six Resource Teachers are provided (art, music, etc.), despite the School Board's commitment to staff separately for the elementary and the middle schools.

NO, Waverly has not lost population.  At the end of this school year, 692 students are enrolled, K-7.  In September, we add-on the 8th grade, meaning 100 more students, for an enrollment of almost 800.

Meanwhile, the school system has budgeted next year for an enrollment of 681!

State Senator Joan Carter Conway and Delegates Curt Anderson, Ann Marie Doory and Maggie McIntosh will testify on Waverly's behalf at the Board on June 28. So will I, along with Councilman Ken Harris, chair of City Council's Education Committee.

When the school system approved Waverly as a middle school (in March 2003), the Waverly and Ednor Gardens community demanded and received a commitment that Waverly Middle would receive the resources required to be a Blue Ribbon School, on a par with Roland Park Middle to which students were previously zoned.

First we lost the funding to fix Waverly's portable for middle school use, and many of us volunteered to do the job ourselves.  Mission accomplished, thanks to Citifinancial's generous contribution, to the Mayor's Believe in Our Schools Campaign, and to the work of hundreds of volunteers last spring and summer.

Now, our very funding is in jeopardy whereby the staff and community have raised Waverly up from a failing to an academically successful school.

Please join us at the School Board and help demonstrate our entire District's support for Waverly Elementary/ Middle School #51.

Thanks,

Mary Pat

Mary Pat

Mary Pat Clarke Baltimore City Council, 14th District

550 City Hall Baltimore, Maryland 21202

Home 410-366-2023

410-396-4814

Fax 410-545-7585