[Chat] digging out a basement?

Robert Watters rewatters at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 14:28:07 EST 2005

Thanks for the tips, Steve and Emily.  Waste pipes are not something I would want to tangle with.  My wife and I purchased a recumbant exercise bike to battle the clearance issue from the cardio front.

At the root of this issue is a weight system I purchased from Costco.  I went there twie with the measuring tape and a camera to make sure that it would work in my basement as it was.  Once all 700 pounds of the machine arrived home, I noticed on a schematic that the machine was not properly setup on the floor of the Costco, and the one piece that was not attached (a lateral brace at the very top of the machine) would make it impossible to have the machine in my basement.  It is unfortunately too heavy to setup in one of our unused bedrooms.

I will more than likely return the 700 pound beast and keep hunting for equipment that will work with our basement without having to place the jackhammer on the slab.  I'm sure my neighbors around Calvert and 27th will be happy with that as well!  I'm hoping Costco will be able to work with me on the return since I had to rent a cargo van to pick it up, and would definitely not want to do that again to return it since I relied on their floor model to make the purchase.  We'll see...

Thanks again!
Bob

----------------------------------
Bob--

I have the same problem with my basement--I had a stepper for a while, but I was always in danger of hitting my head on something. I don't know what street you live on, but in my block on Guilford the basements tend to be wet, so lowering one wouldn't be an option.

I've seen people put exercise equipment in the bedroom they use the least, a solution that is a lot easier (and cheaper) than digging out a basement.Another solution would bethe new YMCA over on 33rd--good exercise equipment is expensive enough thatjoining a gym is not an unreasonable option.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do.

Emily

-----------------------------

Bob,

I can't answer your specific questions, but I do know that there is one
more problem you may or may not have.  In my house and I suspect in
many
others, there are pipes carrying waste water from both my house and one
next door to the sewer system.  It is very possible that the house next
door (to the north) does not have such pipes in the front two thirds of
the basement, since a pipe comes into my house from that house.  I have
never seen the actual pipes, but there are cracks in the concrete floor
where the pipes are, and waste water pipes from the bathrooms and
kitchen can be seen to go under the concrete basement floor to that
system of pipes.  The pipes run from near the rear of the house (where
the kitchen and bathrooms are) all the way to the front, so the sewer
must be under the street in front of the house (Guilford).

Years ago, I thought about doing what you want to do, but I quickly
realized that the pipes would prevent it; hence, I never really looked
into it.

Steve.