[Chat] RE: [Discussion] Propery Tax hearing

arjay arjay at bcpl.net
Mon May 2 23:19:03 EDT 2005

Didon,

I went to my appeal of assessment this past Saturday morning armed with the
work sheets of other "comparable" properties (6) and took digital pictures
(documents) of what I consider to be value decreasing flaws in my property.
The hearing officer seemed impressed with the pictures and wanted to retain
them to discuss with her supervisor.  Hey!, ...you put together the best
argument you can to work the proper magic!  They are not very interested in
crying and anguished facial expressions, but want instead real concrete
arguments.  You can't fake your way through any of it and get any sympathy at
all!

I have been down three times so far in my life and accomplished substantial
reductions each time.

The first time I went to the second step of the appeal process which is a
hearing before the Appeal Board.  It was wonderful!, ...before it was over my
assessor was pleading for mercy and blaming all his mistakes on everyone else!
 It's such Nirvana inflict humility on your assessor!  I told them the dollar
value that I thought the properly should be assessed for and that's what they
ended up assessing it for!  Exactly my number!

If I could only figure our how to have that same effect on the IRS!

Good Luck with your appeal!

Regards, Arjay
______________

>===== Original Message From "Didon Pachner" <pachner at worldnet.att.net> =====
>Hi All,
>
>I am appealing my property tax assessment.  Does anyone know what
"documentation" I should bring with me?  When I called the tax assessment
office they said I didn't have to bring anything.  But then I asked about
photos - response: "Bring anything that will help your case".  Didon: "What
about receipts for work done".  Tax Office: "Bring anything that will help
your case".

>Have any of you ever appealed a property tax assessment in Baltimore?  If so,
what documentation did you take with you?  Was it useful?