[Chat] computer conferences in Baltimore

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Thu May 12 22:27:46 EDT 2005

Over the past week or so, I've noticed that four computer-related
conferences are coming to Baltimore: Usenix, ISPCon, STOC (the ACM
Symposium on Theory of Computation), and PODS (the ACM Symposium on
Principles of Database Systems).  These are all within the next month
or so.  STOC is actually in Hunt Valley but the other three are at the
Baltimore Convention Center.  A few weeks ago, I noticed that a
conference on the Blackboard software package was there as well.
Blackboard is one of two major online course management software
packages and the one used at Loyola.

Somebody is evidently doing a good job attracting conferences!

It's a good sign for Baltimore.  Having a lot of conferences come to
our metro area might even be a leading indicator of greater tech
investment in the region.  Conferences like this put Baltimore on the
map.  I think the push to build a new conference hotel that connects
to the Convention Center is a good idea.

Emil Volcheck
volcheck at acm.org
http://acm.org/~volcheck