[Chat] Watch the register at Giant

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Fri May 27 18:18:27 EDT 2005

Last week, when I got home from the Waverly Giant, I discovered that I
been charged twice for one container of cat litter.  When I went back,
they gave me a refund.

This afternoon, I bought a few things including two 3-box family
packages of Kleenex tissues that were marked as being on sale at $5.99.
The register rang up $7.99.  Fortunately, I caught it.  First, the
person from the customer service desk (who came over to the checkout
aisle) said that those packages were not on sale according to this
week's ad, just the single packages.  I remembered specifically that the
sale price I had seen referred to family packages at $5.99, so the
customer service woman went to the aisle to check.  She came back with
the sale price sign and said that it was an old (presumably last week's)
price.

Fortunately, I am aware that Giant has a policy that if the scanned
price is higher than the price marked in the aisle, the customer gets
one of the item for free.  So I asked for and got one for free and the
other at the marked price of $5.99.  I made out well.

But think about it; it is now Friday, and the price presumably changed
on Sunday.  Over a period of more than 5 days, how many people grabbed a
package of tissues because they were marked as being on sale, but were
charged the full price?

Watch the register (and not only at Giant)!

Steve.