[Chat] Roofer

Emily Chalmers echalmers at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 12 10:41:33 EDT 2005

Jon--

The problem with your roof is that if you have a guarantee, no other
company will want to touch it. If you don't have a guarantee, you should
try to find out how old the roof is and what type it is. Might be time for
a new roof.

I have been having similar problem with Adler Roofing, which replaced my
entire roof about 2 years ago. I have a 10-year guarantee that the company
is not honoring and a contract with some faulty provisions. Recourse for
people like me, and potentially you, is the Maryland Home Improvement
Commission, which investigates complaints and tries to help homeowners, not
contractors. The company you use must have an MHIC number in order to fall
under the commission's jurisdiction; it can't help with other unregistered
contractors.

For example, Adler stated in its guarantee that it was not liable for
internal damage caused by leaky roofs it had installed, but MHIC tells me
that that provision does not hold. All certified companies must have
liability insurance, and MHIC will find out the name of Adler's company for
me so that I can file for return of the money I spend fixing the drywall
damage.

Given what has happened to me, I have determined that it's best to use an
MHIC certified roofer, though I use uncertified people for all sorts of
other things and have been happy with most of them. Lots of people don't
get certified because the process of doing so is expensive and troublesome.

I have a great masonry guy who has taught me more about concrete than I
ever wanted to know. His name is Wayne Crump @ 443-508-6124; he can also
repair roofs (and drywall and a host of other things) but isn't certified.
He's really trustworthy and a fine craftsman--not cheap, but worth the
money.

If you are interested in replacing your roof, you can try Chris Oktavec @
410-335-3737. His company does a lot of different types of work and
specializes in painting--they have done great work for me. Be forewarned:
Chris is a great guy but will talk your ear off. He may also try to give
you some steamed crabs.

Good luck,

Emily Chalmers