[Chat] Fw: re clothes

echalmers at mindspring.com echalmers at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 30 11:12:13 EST 2006

The reason that Goodwill doesn't want winter clothes right now is that these items don't sell in the spring and summer. Thus the stores would be forced to put the items in storage, and given the amount of donations these agencies get, there isn't room and the logistics are nightmarish.

Why not hang on to these items and donate them in the fall, when they will be wanted? And as spring is here, why not go through that spring wardrobe and take out things you don't wear and donate them? Seasonal items are sure to be appreciated.

Unfortunately we don't seem to have textile recylcing widely available in the United States, so clothes get tossed. It certainly could be done, but I haven't heard of it. Has anyone else?

I also throw away clothes that aren't fit to wear, trusting, since most of them are cotton, that they will not do too much damage in a landfill.

Emily