[Chat] ok, now I need an exterminator....

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Mon May 8 17:03:29 EDT 2006

Mariann,

I had the same problem a few years ago and used boiling water.  It
worked then, but the ants were back the next year and seemingly immune
to boiling water.  Also, boiling water kills not just the ants but
everything else, so I was told later that it is not a good idea even
though it is not adding chemicals to the environment.

What finally worked for me were outdoor ant traps (with tiny plastic
stakes).  Put a few around the ant hill (if you can find it).  They came
back a year later, and the hill was next door while my neighbor was out
of the country, so I put the traps in her yard (and she said afterward
that she was glad I did).  Since then, no or very few ants (and it may
have been 10 years ago that I last had an ant problem, and I have not
used traps since).

Somehow, borax never worked for me, buy try it.  It was probably my
error not to mix in some bait.

Steve.