[Chat] Painter

Christine Gray langwidge at erols.com
Thu May 18 17:52:49 EDT 2006

Emily, does he paint exteriors?

Christine Gray

-----Original Message-----
From: Chat-bounces at charlesvillage.info
[mailto:Chat-bounces at charlesvillage.info] On Behalf Of
echalmers at mindspring.com
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 11:55 AM
To: The Charles Village Chat List; Charles Village Discussion List; The
Charles Village Chat List; members at abellimprovement.org
Subject: [Chat] Painter

Jack Denning, the painter who has been working on my house, will be looking
for more work in the coming weeks. His number is 410-499-8170. He has done a
good job painting my walls and has been very reasonable--$25/hour (including
some Benjamin Moore paint). Jack has one very important virtue: he is 100
percent trustworthy, so you can have him in your house when you are not
there without worrying. He also appears to treat women decently, unlike many
of the male contractors I have met. And he is very tidy--he moves all the
furniture, covers it up, and then cleans up and replaces things.

He has just started working on his own, and I have found that by telling him
exactly what I want him to do, I get better results. For instance, I was not
happy with the first patch he did, so I told him exactly how I wanted holes
patched, and he followed these instructions. The patches now look good. I
also did not let him scrape any woodwork, in part because it's such an
expensive task and in part because he refuses to wear a respirator, which he
says does not go with his beard. Really.

I would rate him B+ on prep and A- on actual painting. Oh yes--he also does
some faux finishes.