[Chat] [Discussion] Subject: Re: GEWIRTZ NOT OBLIGED TO

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Thu Nov 16 10:46:06 EST 2006

Paul,

I'll have to look for photos.  But among those who were very active in
the anti-war movement are Gren Whitman, Karen Olson (still in CV), Dee
Ann Mims, Dean Pappas (lives in northwest suburbs), Vickie Pollard
(moved to Maine), Jo Ann Robinson (still in CV), Megan and Walter Shook
(now in Roland  Park), Dave Greene (Megan's brother, ran for House of
Delegates in 43rd), and probably a bunch of others I cannot think of
right now.  Some are still in CV or nearby.

Dave and Megan founded The Crack of Doom Coffeehouse on Maryland Ave.;
it was where there is now a Korean restaurant; I think that that is at
the southwest corner of 22nd or 23rd Street.

I'm not sure whether Brendan Walsh and his wife Willa Bickham (I'm not
sure of the spelling) lived in CV then, but they also were extremely
active in the Interfaith Peace Mission founded by Phil Berrigan.
Brendan and Willa run Viva House, a Catholic Worker effort to help the
poor and the down and out in South Baltimore.  Also, the Peace Action
Center was located in a row house at the southeast corner of 26th and
Maryland.

Bill O'Connor, who died very recently, was very active with Phil
Berrigan, and I learned at Bill's  memorial service that the napalm used
by the Catonsville 9 to burn draft files was mixed in Bill's basement.
His  widow, Marilyn, is someone you definitely should interview and
still is in CV.

Steve.