[Chat] New Trinidatian eatery in CV

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Thu Oct 12 13:26:21 EDT 2006

The Trinidad Gourmet just opened today at 418 E. 31st St., where Nancy
Smith's antique shop was.  It is a carryout shop, but it has a small
area where you can eat if you choose to.  I walked past it about 9 a.m.
and saw that a sign said "Open."

Since I love Caribbean food and especially goat meat, I went there for
lunch.  I took home their curried goat and a bottle of ginger beer
(total cost including tax: $9.98; there is no jar for tips, so that was
the total cost).

The curried goat comes wrapped in a type of bread (thicker, larger and
fluffier than a tortilla), and it comes with chick peas.  I am happy to
report that I found it very tasty.  It had a mild curry.

Their menu lists quite a variety of foods including chicken, beef, goat,
fish, shrimp and vegetables.  They are open for breakfast (and I am not
at all familiar with their breakfast dishes, but look forward to trying
them).  Their hours are not yet posted, but the menu refers to
breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The food, like much of Caribbean food, can be described as Indian with a
Caribbean accent.

The portion of goat curry was large, so if I want to lose weight, I
cannot eat there too often.  One reason I eat in as much as I do is that
I can control how much I eat that way.

To sum up, we have an excellent new eatery in the neighborhood.  Let's
support it.

Steve.