[Chat] satellite TV

Karen Morley kdmorley at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 2 13:27:12 EDT 2006

Emil, I have satellite and love it.  I would never go back to cable.  I use DirecTV and have been very happy with them.    As for installation, I had DirecTV do it.......watch for specials (check their internet site) where you can get the service and installation for a good price.  I have friends who use Dish Network and they are happy as well but I cannot comment on their customer service.  On the whole the price for the service comes to about the same as cable.  It is also possible to get satellite

  The support people from DirecTV and friendly and helpful.  There are seldom problems but when there are, the support people are right there to help (and not make me feel stupid for doing something silly).  There are 3 things you need to know:  1. when there is a bad thunderstorm overhead the connection to the satellite can be broken and you'll loose service for a few minutes until the storm passes.  It's something you get used to but it can be annoying when it happens at a critical point of a movie or show.  2. the weather channel does not tailor it's local update to Baltimore.....you'll only see national updates for all major cities across the country (including Baltimore).  3. You have to pay extra for local broadcast channels......for years I just used my antenna for those since it's pretty easy to switch back and forth.  However, when I got TIVO (absolutely the best electronic device I've ever owned), I found I could not program shows unless they came through the
 DirecTV line......now I have a TIVO from DirecTV so that may be part of it.....but it's something to think about if you go the DVR route.  I still use the antenna for DC channels which I sometimes like to watch since I work in DC.

  You can also get satellite service that includes internet service.  I think it's quite expensive as compared to a DSL line.

  If you want more information, please email me & I can give you a demo. Karen

Emil Volcheck <volcheck at acm.org> wrote:
  Kathleen and I are thinking about switching to satellite TV.

Has anybody done this, and do you know a good installer?

Paul Moscatt (of the Little Shop of Hardware) tells me it's
great and better than Comcast.

We can't wait for Verizon FiOS (if they ever bring it here)!
(FiOS is the new fiber optic system for voice/phone/TV.)

Thanks,

Emil Volcheck
volcheck at acm.org
http://acm.org/~volcheck