[Chat] satellite TV

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Sat Sep 2 23:33:15 EDT 2006

Hi, Mariann,

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 10:31:16PM -0400, Mariann Millard wrote:
> One caveat to add re: DirecTV--make sure you are clear
> upfront on what color cable you want in your house.  Their
> standard is black and I discovered the hard way that they
> won't ask you for a choice. So if you want white, which to
> me is less ugly and obtrusive, make sure you speak up pronto
> before the installation.  They also take the path of least
> resistance when actually installing the cable inside your
> house, which may not be what you had in mind.

Yes, I was worried about this problem -- can we find an installer who
will run a cable long enough to go up the side (like, through the
"keyhole" space between us and our neighbors on the north side) to the
roof and not up the front?  Maybe if Dish doesn't offer that, we'll
have to find a private installer or service reseller who would be
willing to do the additional work.

> And I totally agree about TIVO!

We chose ReplayTV over TiVo when we got our DVR a few years back.
It's a good product and works fine, but since we don't know
anybody else who has a ReplayTV, we can't use the feature that
lets us share programs!  (Two ReplayTV users can send each
other TV programs over a broadband connection.)

Thanks,

--Emil

P.S. Kathleen and I just rented Deepa Mehta's film "Water" from
Video Americain.  It's a great movie.  We missed it when it played
at the MD Film Festival but heard how good it was.  It tells
the story of a young girl, widowed at age 7, who is forced to
join a "convent" of widows living in poverty.  Although the
story takes place in 1938, the movie tries to raise awareness
of the 30+ million widows still living in poverty in India
today.  The film was so controversial that production was
halted by a mob of religious fundamentalists.  Production
was completed years later in Sri Lanka.

--
Emil Volcheck
volcheck at acm.org