[Chat] Charles Village Crime Alerts

SLG2700 at cs.com SLG2700 at cs.com
Tue Apr 3 11:38:50 EDT 2007

Neighbors:

I have been fighting for more to be done in our community to prevent crime
for many years now.  If you are concerned about safety and crime matters, such
as the ones contained in the forwarded emails below (SEE BELOW),  it is
important that you communicate these concerns to Northern District through the
Charles Village Community Benefits District which has a safety program exactly for
that purpose.  We need to increase patrols both by the CVCBD team and by
Northern District.  We need coordination between the CVCBD and the Northern
District. We need the CVCBD Safety team to assist in educating us on the best crime
prevention techniques and safety precautions.  At the CVCBD Budget hearing on
March 13 David Hill, Executive Director, confirmed that these things would
continue to be done.  We also need to do our part by becoming block leaders for the
CVCBD and block watchers for the Northern District. The proposed budget and
the presentation on the Financial Plan for Fiscal Year 2008 are both available
online at the website www.charlesvillage.org .  Please note that, although
residents surveyed consistently have stated that they want safety and sanitation
to receive equal treatment in the budget, the proposed budget spends less on
Safety than Sanitation.

I urge all of you who are concerned about safety issues to check out the
budget and financial plan on the website and communicate with David Hill or your
quad representative or your community association representatives about your
concerns.   We shouldn't wait for crimes to happen to take proper precautions
and to make proper plans for improve safety.  If we could increase our
attendance at important meetings that would have the best impact.

Sharon L. Guida
2746 Maryland Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21218
410-889-0436 (home)
410-467-4409 (work)
410-467-4410 (work fax)
410-960-1139 (cell)
SLG2700 at cs.com

To all concerned neighbors and representatives of CVCBD and CVCA:

We just received this message from Katie Beltz, our CV block leader
coordinator, via a neighbor, regarding a house break- in on the East
side of 2700 block of St. Paul and are quite alarmed by the brazenness
of this act. We have many questions and hope that all of you will
follow up on this and update us as more information becomes available.

We were also very alarmed to hear of a car break- in, on March 28,
during the CVCA meeting at Margaret Brent, in which a guest presenter
to the meeting had her driver car window smashed and her navigation
system stolen while parked on St. Paul. How ironic when safety issues
were on the agenda just a few feet from the break-in. It took over an
hour and a half for the police to arrive on the scene, while she waited
outside on the sidewalk. This woman had to drive all the way back to
Frederick, MD without a driver window and without her navigation
system. What a fine welcome to our neighborhood.

Clearly, safety issues cannot be ignored and indeed, must take
priority. It would be nice to think that we have gotten beyond these
more serious crimes and can relax by diverting our funds and turn our
attention to other more pleasant issues in our neighborhood. But
apparently we have not, and must continue to be vigilant and even
perhaps more so as these events seem to suggest.

This prompted me to review the notes from the February 7, CVCBD meeting
where concerns regarding " a crime wave" were raised. Is this indeed
what is occurring? How does the Northern District respond to this? Is
there a pattern that can be discerned?
How is the CVCA and the CVCBD responding to this?

Sincerely,
Linda Gravina Ridings
Cornel Rubino