[Chat] Books for kids

Greg Alexander ugagrad93 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 20:57:29 EDT 2007

CV neighbors,

Full disclosure:  I am a fan of the Oprah show and TiVo it every day. Yesterday's show was about
this former Microsoft senior executive making millions and millions of dollars each year, who one
year visited Nepal and learned that there were kids in Nepal - and all over the world - who were
dying to learn and read but simply had no books (they fought over Dr. Seuss' books when he brought
them).  He quit his job and founded a nonprofit to deliver books and to build libraries and
schools all over the world.  So far, he has collected 3 million books, started 287 schools,
established 3,600 libraries and funded more than 2,000 long-term scholarships for girls in
third-world countries.  His big thing is that there are 770 million illiterate adults in the
world, two-thirds of whom are women and girls, so the circle will continue as illiterate women are
unable to teach their children.

He and Oprah have partnered where $1 donation buys a book.  As a bibliophile, the show spoke to
me.  I made a donation to his charity (Room to Read).  A friend of mine contacted me about the
show.  She lives in Barre Circle (near Camden Yards).  She started a localized version of this
idea months ago as her neighbor is a City schoolteacher in a low-income neighborhood.  She and I
meeting this week to discuss growing her grassroots program, as the show spoke to her, too.  Of
course, I want my efforts to support CV-area schools.  Does anyone have any insight on how to do
this at Margaret Brent and Barclay?  Shall I contact the VLP?

Thanks,
Greg

For background info on the show I am talking about,  visit:

www2.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200704/tows_past_20070403_b.jhtml

Greg Alexander
Freelance Writer/Editor
Editor, Mason-Dixon Arrive
2629 Guilford Avenue