[Chat] Dixon's Deep Clean program a bust

OldHouseHistory oldhousehistory at aol.com
Sun Jun 24 11:11:39 EDT 2007

About a week ago, we on the 2600 block of Guilford Ave and others nearby got a bright yellow notice on our door announcing an upcoming "Deep Clean" of our block.  I don't know her definition of a "deep clean," but not much happened; in fact our alley is far worse off then when they started!

The notice encouraged us to clean out our back yards and place bags and bulk trash in our regular trash pick-up spot no later than noon on Saturday, June 23.  I eagerly assembled a pile of bulk trash hauled up from our basement during a few hours late Friday night.  Then, I waited for the "Deep Clean" on Saturday.  In the meantime, as anticipated, garbage pickers sorted through the bulk items, hauling away metal, etc., and generally spreading out our neat little pile, as they did to other piles in the alley.

So, at 1:30 on Saturday, the first and only tuck "with city crews and volunteers" arrived in our alley.  They picked up our neighbors pile, told me their truck was "full up" and they would be back.  They all took a 10 minute smoke break, and drove off, never coming back, of course.  So, the remaining piles are now strewn all over the alley by kids having fun breaking glass, etc.  The alley is impassable, and worse off than before this "deep clean" that amounted to nothing more than a single trash truck.

I guess I had defined a "deep clean" as one beginning with the bulk trash being taken away, and continuing with crews arriving with street sweepers, brooms, power washers, etc for the block.  If the mayor thinks a "deep clean" is a single trash truck onsite for 10 minutes, then her own house must be a mess.  I wonder what her alley and street looks like today?

Paul K. Williams
Kelsey & Associates, Inc.
2629 Guilford Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21218