[Chat] lehrer/anglo Saxon

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Sat Mar 24 19:54:58 EDT 2007

Christine,

Morrie's is at Yale, or so I have been told.

When I first met Tom Lehrer in the fall of 1961, he was a 9G (9th year
grad student) in math at Harvard, and I was then a 1G.  He put on some
great parties.  I have no idea what he is doing now.

He had a great model of a hand:

"I hold your hand in mine dear, I touch it to my lips,
I take a healthy bite from your dainty fingertips.
My joy would be complete dear, if you were only here.
But still I keep your hand as a dainty souvenir.
The night you died I cut it off, I really don't know why.
For now each time I kiss it, I get bloodstains on my tie.
I'm sorry now I killed you, our love was something fine.
Until they come to get me, I will hold your hand in mine."

I know that it is a sick song, but I remember it well.

And I remember his versions of Clementine.  So I guess I date myself.

Steve.