[Chat] It's worth a try

SLG2700 at cs.com SLG2700 at cs.com
Wed May 9 14:26:19 EDT 2007

Neighbors:

The only thing that will work is for us to stop using our cars.  Switch to
public transportation.  If we had supported Jimmy Carter when he wanted to
improve nationwide mass transportation in the late '70's (one of the reasons Reagan
got elected with the help of the automobile and oil contributions) we would
not be in the predicament we are now.

I have been using mass transportation and my feet since the first of the year
and it is perfectly doable.  If we all did that the powers that be would
notice and things would change.  But as long as Americans continue their obsession
with living in the suburbs and shopping at malls with franchises, we will
continue to be at the mercy of the oil, gas and automobile manufacturers.

I am thinking of starting a group to promote leaving our cars behind with an
emphasis on pedestrian safety. Does anyone know of an effort that exists
already?

Sharon L. Guida
2746 Maryland Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21218