[Chat] [Discussion] Power company rep

Eric A. Perlman eric at yikes.com
Tue Apr 15 17:32:56 EDT 2008

This is  most likely a semi-legit scam.  Yes, they are most likely
are "a" company which can supply you power, but they are hardly "the"
company.  The 8% savings is also likely true, perhaps only for a year,
but you'll be stuck with a multi-year contract after which point the
rates will go sky high.

The reason they want to see your bill is to get your account number.
This is necessary for them to tell BGE to switch you over to them as
your "supplier".  The only other thing they need is your signature,
which they usually get when they say "sign here to save money!".

I heard of a company going door-to-door like this elsewhere in the north
east.  Google for "IDT Energy" to read thousands of horror stories of
people suckered into switching...

I am not trying to suggest that it makes sense to stick with BGE as
your energy supplier.  Just don't do it at the door.  These guys
prey on the fact we all dislike these ever increasing energy bills.

 -- Eric