[Chat] Plastic recycling - more of the story

Private Person periwrinkled at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 15 17:10:41 EST 2008

Dear Neighbors,

Here's a bit of what I've learned in reading about plastic recycling...

-- The resin number on the plastic container does not tell the whole story for its recyclability.  There are stabilizers and plasticizers that form different polymers.  #1s and #2s are often sorted again for hardness (#2 milk bottles are separated from #2 water bottles, for example) before they can be melted down, as the unlike polymers don't stay well-mixed. -- Bottle caps are not recyclable. -- #3 through #7 is pretty bad stuff, overall.  (PVC, polyvinyl chloride, is marked #3 and is particularly poisonous -- and one container can contaminate a whole batch of otherwise reusable plastic.)  These are mostly shipped overseas and burned for fuel, releasing toxins into the air... or just landfilled.

-- Plastic bottles are rarely in fact RE-cycled, but DOWN-cycled -- that is, they go into making other products that end up in landfills (plastic lumber, trash containers, etc).

-- Most municipalities that collect all numbers throw away most of them.  (Perhaps this is in the hope that more people will recycle if it's easier?)  There's a bit of a market for #6s (in addition to the #1s and #2s).

-- The chasing arrows do not mean that the item is recyclable.  I've read that there is no government regulation around the labeling for recyclability.

-- The environmental cost of *making* plastic containers is pretty darn huge in the first place.

Thanks for reading,
Dorrie