[Chat] Fwd:Re: Baltimore City Frequently Asked Questions: Plastic recycling

Schlegel, William B CW4 RES USAR USARC william.schlegel at us.army.mil
Fri Jan 18 06:01:12 EST 2008

Judy,

Your behavior is a bit inconsiderate, when the recycling program is very specific.  Putting items not acceptable just gums of the works.  I suggest you read the FAQs on the city website, some of which I copied below.  The restrictions stem from the requirements set by the businesses which puirchase the recycled material from the City.  And it is 1 through 7 - not just 1 and 7.

http://www.baltimorecity.gov/government/dpw/recycle.php

Department of Public Works - Recycling
One Bin Same Day
Baltimore is now Single Stream Recycling - All items collected in one container.

Recycling is an important part of our effort to build a cleaner, greener Baltimore. Now it is easier than ever with SINGLE STREAM RECYCLING. Instead of separating your bottles, cans, jars and paper, you can now place all these items in one container for collection. Your paper collection day last year is now the collection day for all your recyclables. DPW has also added more varieties of plastics which we will accept. Plastic bottles and jars with 1 - 7 on the bottom, instead of just 1 - 2 , will now be collected.

Times have changed. Much of what we used to throw away must be re-used to preserve dwindling resources, to conserve landfill space and to reduce pollution and global warming. Resource recovery also saves money and creates jobs. Many products we all use each day are made from recycled paper, aluminum, steel, glass and plastic. Purchasing products made from recycled materials is not only good for the environment but also good for the economy. Please recycle. Recycling materials should be set out in front of house, except for communities approved for rear pick-up (Download List - PDF)

Recycling is good for you, good for Baltimore and good for the environment!

Acceptable Recycling Material:
  a.. Metal: aluminum, tin and steel food and beverage containers (Ex. soup, pet food, empty aerosol cans, vegetable cans, tuna cans)
  b.. Plastic: bottles and jars with the symbols 1 - 7 on the bottom (narrow neck and screw top)
  (e.g. soda bottle, detergent/bleach bottle, water bottle, milk jug, juice bottle)
  c.. Glass: bottles and jars - brown, clear, or green
  d.. Mixed Paper: all colors, mail, books, newsprint, folders, magazines, cardboard, cereal boxes, office and school paper.
Please place all recycling materials (Plastic and glass bottles and jars, paper and cans) in recycle bins, cardboard boxes, paper bags or a clearly marked container and they will be collected citywide on your regularly scheduled recycling day.

Set out recycling items by 7 a.m. for collection. (Zone 5 is an evening collection. Please see map).

If your collection day falls on a holiday, please hold your recycling items until the next scheduled collection day.

For additional information, please dial 311.

Household Hazardous Waste:
Baltimore City offers Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) drop off free to city residents during its bi-annual HHW drop off days; the 4th Saturday and Sunday in April and the 4th Saturday and Sunday in October. For more information, please dial 311 or look to your Public Works calendar for time and location.

Acceptable materials include:

automotive fluids, break fluid, button batteries, car batteries, coal tar products, creosote products, floor care products, fungicides, furniture strippers, gasoline, herbicides, household batteries, insecticides, kerosene, laser toner cartridges, oven cleaners, paint, oil based and latex paint, paint thinners, pesticides, pool chemicals, propane gas tanks (30 gal. only), rust removers, solvents, turpentine, varnishes and stains, weed killers, wood preservers, florescent light bulbs.

Recycle Bins:
What about the sale of yellow recycling bins?

  a.. Both 18 gallon and 25 gallon yellow recycling bins are now available at Baltimore City's Kane Street Yard (111 Kane Street, across from Patterson High School).
  Bins can be purchased between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Monday through Friday.

  b.. 18 gallon bins are $5.00
  c.. 25 gallon bins are normally $12.00, but will be discounted to $6.00 through the end of January 2008.
  d.. A limit of four bins may be purchased by each individual. (Kane Street Location only)
  e.. Residents can buy for there block with proof.
  f.. Communities groups can purchase in bulk and resale to their members.
  g.. Acceptable Payment - Cash, Money Order or Check (Checks must be addressed to the Director of Finance and citizens must show proof of identification including address).

  h.. Thanks to a few dedicated community groups, below are some alternative locations for residents to purchase recycle bins. *Bin prices are the same as above.
  i.. Brooklyn and Curtis Bay Coalition
  Contact: Cheryl Gorham
  Phone: 410-355-1100
  Location: 320 E. Patapsco Avenue 21225
  Hours: M-F 8am-5pm
  Special Instructions: Call first to make sure someone is at the locations
  a.. Please remember that yellow recycling bins are for recycling only!  Regular trash and debris will not be picked up from recycling bins.
  b.. The promotional yellow bins are NOT REQUIRED to recycle - a citizen can use any bin of his/her choice as long as it is clearly marked "recycle," citizens can also use cardboard boxes and/or paper bags.
  c.. We do not have lids available for the 25 gal. containers, but lids can be purchased separately at many hardware stores.
  d.. We are exploring a future purchase of lids that will be sold separately for those who wish to have covered recycling bins.
  e.. Recycling is different from household garbage (it is generally clean paper, bottles and cans) - a lidded can is not required under this or our past recycling program.

Recycling Drop-Off Locations:
Acceptable Items Include:

  a.. Metal: aluminum, tin and steel food and beverage containers
  (Ex. soup, pet food, empty aerosol cans, vegetable cans, tuna cans)
  b.. Plastic: bottles and jars with the symbols 1 - 7 on the bottom
  (Ex. soda bottle, detergent/bleech bottle, water bottle, milk jug, juice bottle)
  c.. Glass: bottles and jars - brown, clear, or green
  d.. Mixed Paper: all colors, mail, books, newsprint, folders, magazines, cardboard, cereal boxes, office and school paper.
  e.. Electronics Recycling (eCycling): computer monitors, televisions, central processing units, computer mice, keyboards, cell phones, printers, power supplies, laptop computers, scanners, computer cables and cords, miscellaneous circuit boards, chips and cards and other computer or electronic related accessories.
  f.. We cannot accept (examples):

  plastic grocery bags, wire hangers, contaminated paper and cardboard, chemicals or paint, waxed packages (juice boxes, etc.), paper napkins, towels, plates and tissues, plastic cookware or plates, yogurt/cottage cheese/margarine tubs, cat litter, plastic utensils, dry cleaning bags, foil, waxed paper, window glass, mirrors, deli or takeout cartons, foam or plastic packaging material, bottles or cans used for toxic substances.

  g.. Please note that many grocery stores will recycle your plastic bags.