[Chat] Break-ins on 3000 block of Guilford

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Sun Jun 8 19:32:43 EDT 2008

Hello, neighbors,

There were three break-ins early Friday
morning into 3040, 3042, and 3046-48 Guilford,
in the wee hours between 3-6 AM.

The burglars seem like they were professionals.  They entered our
house through a third-story window in the rear, which we hadn't
locked.  They entered the Olson's through an 18-inch opening at the
top of their front window at about a height of 6 feet and jumped down
inside.  The window had locks to prevent it from being opened wider.
We think this means there was probably more than one person, that one
of the thieves was probably of small stature, and that they are pretty
determined.

Kathleen and I lost over $5000 worth, mostly electronics.  They
thieves came into our bedroom and took Kathleen's jewelry box while we
were sleeping.  We didn't hear a thing probably because we had fans
running, which are loud and make it difficult to hear much.  The
thieves also took some documents.  They took a pile of copies of
checks made out to the House Rabbit Society by people who bought
supplies or made donations.  About a hundred people are exposed to
potential identity theft, since the thieves have their names,
addresses, bank account, and routing numbers.

The thieves didn't break any glass or use much force to enter.  We
think we could have avoided being robbed if we had kept the
air-conditioning on and kept our windows locked.  That's what we're
doing now.

Please be careful everyone.