[Chat] [Discussion] Charles Village store owner shoots man attempting a robbery - 6/11/08

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Wed Jun 11 20:39:33 EDT 2008

Rod,

As much as I hate to see guns out there, especially since police train
and retrain and still occasionally make errors with guns, I have to
agree with you.  Someone who waves a knife in a robbery attempt is
asking to be shot.  I just hope that the victim of the attempted robbery
(the shooter) does not suffer from PTSD or a similar malady.

And this time, the robber is off the streets, and the police know
exactly who he is and can prove it in court.  If the courts deal
appropriately with him, he will be held without bail and then will be
sentenced to be off the streets for a long time.

This comes only days after the "larceny" at Standard Cleaners just a
block away.  In that case, someone walked into the establishment, walked
around the counter, took the money from a drawer, then left.  June (the
owner) was very shaken up but otherwise okay.  It was written up by
police as a larceny and not a robbery since no weapon was shown and no
verbal threat was made.  (I was taking a number of things to Standard
Cleaners and had to wait for the police to finish their investigation
before I could enter to drop the things off for cleaning, and I chatted
for a while with June.)

We have a real crime problem in Charles Village, and unfortunately the
cleaning establishments seem to be especially vulnerable.  But at least
one thug hopefully will be out of circulation for quite a while.

Steve.